BRAND BALLOT'S TOP 100 MOM BLOGS FOR 2018!!
Five Fun Facts about Cinco de Mayo
Hello!! Hope you are having a great weekend so far.
I woke up early to the relaxing sound of light rain coming down. For me, it was a pleasure, but for my dear cousin who is participating in the Five Boro Bike Tour, I'm sure it is going to quite a wet day!
Go for it Tanya!!! Can't wait to hear all about your day and see the pictures!!
Today also happens to be Cinco de Mayo! How much do you know about this holiday...
5 Fun Facts About Cinco de Mayo
1. It's not Mexico's Independence Day: Cinco de Mayo commemorates the triumph of the Mexican army at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.
This victory occurred over 50 years after Mexico's Independence Day, which is celebrated on September 16.
2. Cinco de Mayo commemorates a military victory over France — not Spain.
3. Cinco de Mayo is a bigger celebration in the U.S. than in Mexico.
In fact, Los Angeles is host to what is routinely described as the largest Cinco de Mayo party in the world, a multiday event known as Fiesta Broadway.
4. Cinco de Mayo has a connection to the U.S. Civil War. Professor David Hayes-Bautista, has written that Cinco de Mayo is very much an American holiday.
The Battle of Puebla, he explained, occurred at a time when the Confederacy was expanding into New Mexico and Arizona, getting closer to California (which was a free state).
5. The hero of the original Cinco de Mayo was a Texan. General Ignacio Zaragosa, who led the ragtag Mexican forces to victory over the superior French army, was born near what is now Goliad, Texas. "This fact should make Americans, especially Texans, very proud of their connection to that event," said Raul Ramos of the University of Houston.
I'll be heading over to Dad's house a bit later in the day for a nice Sunday fam day and also to do some more plant-based cooking for him. Today I'll be making a vegan Cesar salad and some other goodies!
Here's to a wonderful day!
Tanya is at the Five Boro Bike Tour in New York City today - not sure she will make it - but we'll hear the full scoop soon enough!! -Travelin' Elisa