Today is the beginning of Tanya's gang's big trip to The Azores, Portugal, Spain and Andorra!
I couldn't be more excited for my little cuz!!
A bit about my day... Woke up this morning in a seemingly good mood until my darling daughters pissed me off.
Today is Field Day for them and as such, they dress down, do not have regular class and didn't even have homework last night.
I awaken to Gianna asking me if I did wash yesterday because she can't find her black shorts. I cannot tell you how many times I tell these kids to get their clothes out the night before so there is no scrambling in the morning.
So, of course, I get agitated and begin yelling that I don't need to start my day thinking about where her clothes are and that NO I didn't do wash. Well, she cannot find her shorts, blah blah and finally, I realize there is still a clean load in the dryer from Tuesday. Sure enough, her black shorts are in there.
Now, we move onto Kelsey and her opening up a nasty mouth to me when I ask her if she will be warm enough in the shorts she is wearing. I have a very short fuse for disrespectful talk and so she immediately gets told that she has lost laptop privileges today.
Is it safe to say, I'm in a bad mood now? We get to school and as I'm getting them out of the car, they realize they forgot their string back packs with their necessities for Field Day (a total, water, etc.).
Gianna also advises me that they need their book bags. I'm a bit curious about this one since they do not have class today. So, Taxi Mom drives home, - grabs Kelsey's string bag and BOTH book bags and high tails it back to school.
Upon arrival, I'm told by the assistant principal that they do not need their book bags. UGH!!!
Anyway - enough venting! Lord knows, I can go on.
With Tanya leaving tonight on a long plane ride, I wanted to impart a few helpful tips for getting through a long flight.
These have been quite helpful to me in making my flight as enjoyable and least stressful as possible:
10 TIPS FOR GETTING THROUGH A LONG AIR FLIGHT
1. Pack a Sensible Carry-On Your carry-on bag is what you will be living from during your flight. Packing wisely means, taking those most necessary items and not over-packing. I always take some toiletries: - Toothbrush & toothpaste for freshening up after eating and/or sleeping. - Travel size lotion since skin tends to get dry inside the airplane for hours at a time. - Anti-bacterial (liquid & wipes) - Electronic devices (for working or viewing videos) - Travel documents - Small neck pillow and/or blanket for overnight flight - Umbrella (to always be prepared) - Change of under garments and extra t-shirt & leggings in case luggage is lost or delayed.
2. In-Flight Comfort I'm sure no one will dispute that flying business/first is the most comfortable and pampering mode in air travel. Of course, it also comes at a premium cost. Therefore, if possible, long flights are the time to use those valuable mileage points to trade in or upgrade to a higher class.
In the worst case, the next step up from regular economy class is Premium Economy. It is slightly more expensive, but the benefits include priority check-in, extra legroom, and larger seats, making for a more comfortable travel.
3. Attempt a free upgrade There's no guarantee by any means, but a little begging can't ever hurt. The key is to arrive early, travel by yourself, dress nicely, and be polite.
4. Arrive & Check in early Rushing will always give you and add to your stress. Starting a flight relaxed is the best way to begin an extended length flight.
5. Dress Comfortably It's a long flight so dress in loose, light-weight clothing. Layers are good for changing temperatures on-board. Bringing a pair of sweats or pj's is not a bad idea to have rolled up in your carry-on if the flight is super long.
6. Travel Blanket No matter how long the flight, my kids always pack a small travel blanket in their carry-ons and so do I. Unless you are flying business/first class where they provide a comfy blanket, it's a smart idea to bring one for when you are ready to doze off. It can make the difference in a restful in-flight nap or extended sleep. Remember, nothing too thick or it will take up too much room in your carry-on.
7. Prepare for jet lag Jet lag is usually unavoidable, but there are ways to minimize it, if not avoid it all together. Adjusting your sleep patterns a a few days before can assist making the transition to a new time zone easier. A few 4 a.m. or 7 p.m. bedtimes should do it, depending on where your destination is. But, the most important way to help is to be well rested before you fly.
8. Fly Healthy The two biggest problems when flying is dehydration and deep-vein thrombosis. Avoid both of these with consistent water drinking and stretching and/or walking around the plane cabin.
9. Stay hygienic Using anti-bacterial and tending to your personal hygiene during the flight is just as good for you as well as fellow travelers.
10. Charge Electronic Devices Not much more I need to say about this! Who wants to run out of juice on your electronics half-way through your flight. Some planes now have charging devices in the seats, but just in case your's doesn't, plan ahead.
I'm wishing Tanya and the gang a super-fun, Safe and enjoyable fight!! Cannot wait to hear more about her travels today!!
Back Atcha tomorrow!
Tanya's Daily Scoop WE'RE LEAVING TODAY!!!
Time to take a Red Eye!
Well HOWDY Folks!
TODAY is the day! We are leaving on our trip today.
I've gotta say that out of the four of us, I think I've definitely got to be the most excited.
In fact, I think the kids and Dave are each a little nervous about it. Cosette even had a small little breakdown last night. She's worried about being gone for so long, and I had to remind her of the many past trips that were of equal length and longer and how much fun we all had. I think my baby is a bit of a homebody. I'll keep you posted on her status.
Yesterday was actually quite mellow for me, and I rarely ever have mellow days. We did make it to the stables, and I got over to the gym. Dominic opted to skip his class - in order to focus on packing his carryon. Yup he definitely waited until the last minute on that one.
And for today: A few things to do this morning, one of which is getting my hair did! Ohhhhyeaaaa
Then come this afternoon, we'll be loading our bags, saying our good byes to the fam bam as they wish us a Bon Voyage and then we're heading down to the San Diego airport for our first flight - to Boston.
Today is gonna be a shorty on the blog for me, but since it is TBT I'll go ahead and leave you with some fun Travelin' Throwback Pictures!
Had to toss this one in for fun...and no I'm not getting any purple in my hair today.
Okaaaay I've really gotta get outta here!
Be sure to check out Elisa's column for so awesome tips of how to taking long flights.