Elisa's Daily Scoop
New Month - New Things to Do
IT'S A NEW MONTH!!!
I had to pinch myself because I cannot believe it's June already!!!
The kids only have 17 days of school left before they begin Summer break. They are counting down the days, as you can well imagine.
As Tanya made her way through Seville, Spain to Algarve, Portugal I was thinking about what's happening in the New York area during the coming month.
Before I share local "things to do" here in and around the big Apple, let's take a look at Algarve
16 Fun Facts About The Algarve
1. The Algarve is the southernmost region of continental Portugal.
2. It is known for its sunny Mediterranean climate and its beach and golf resorts.
3. Human presence in southern Portugal dates back to the Paleolithic and Neolithic periods.
4. In the 1960's Tourism boom, the fishing villages on low cliffs overlooking sandy coves were transformed and today its central coast between Lagos and Faro is lined with villas, hotels, bars and restaurants.
5. This region is 1,929 square miles and is made up of 16 municipalities.
6. The city of Faro is the administrative center and it is also where the airport and the University of Algarve is located.
7. In total, including national visitors, almost 10 million people visit the Algarve annually.
8. The Algarve is currently the third richest region in Portugal, after Lisbon and Madeira.
9. Agricultural products of the region include fig, almond, orange, carob bean, strawberry tree and cork oak.
10. Fishing and aquaculture are important activities in the coastal area of Algarve, with sardines, soles, cyprinids, gilt-head bream and various seafood, including the grooved carpet shell, being the major productions.
11. Algarve's wines are also renowned with four wines in the region which have Protected Designation of Origin (Denominação de Origem Controlada – DOC): Lagoa DOC, Lagos DOC, Portimão DOC and Tavira DOC.
12. Tourists come to the Algarve to enjoy its beaches including Marinha Beach and Armação de Pêra.
13. Caldas de Monchique is a well-known spa town.
14. Pilgrimages to the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Piety (best known as the Sovereign Mother), a Marian shrine dedicated to the patron saint of Loulé, attracts thousands of Catholic pilgrims to the city, as does the apparitions site of Our Lady Mother of Goodness occurred near São Marcos da Serra.
15. The coastal strip between Odeceixe and Burgau is known as the Vincentina Coast, and is a different part of the Algarve, where the preserved nature has a strong, wild character, creating landscapes of breathtaking majesty.
16. Prince Henry the Navigator set up his Nautical School in the town of Sagres in the 1450s.
Returning back to New York...
10 THINGS TO DO IN JUNE IN NEW YORK CITY & LONG ISLAND
1. Shakespeare in the Park
June 1 - Aug. 14, 2016
Shakespeare in the Park at Delacorte Theater in Central Park
May 24 - June 26: The Taming of the Shrew
July 19 - Aug. 14: Troilus and Cressida
2. Free Summer Movies
June 1 - Sept. 15, 2016
Free Summer Movies are shown evenings at NYC parks in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx.
3. Big Apple Circus
June 2 - 12, 2016
The Grand Tour by Big Apple Circus has a 1920s travel theme with acrobats, aerialists, jugglers, clowns, rescue animals, and a band in Cunningham Park in Queens. Discount tickets $10 to $29.
4. Rose weekend
June 4 - 5, 2016
Rose Garden Weekend at The New York Botanical Garden includes live music, garden tours, demonstrations, and a cash bar. Discount tickets $17.
June 4 - Sept. 23, 2016
Enjoy outstanding music, comedy, theater, dance, lectures, and films during SummerStage in city parks. The free concerts are popular, so arrive early.
6. Yankees baseball
June 6 - 30, 2016
the New York Yankees play at Yankee Stadium.
7. Music at Washington Square
June 7 - 28, 2016 (8 p.m. Tuesdays)
Washington Square Music Festival performs classical music in the park June 7 to 21, and jazz June 28. (In case of rain, it moves to Frederick Loewe Theatre.) Free.
8. New York Pet Expo
June 18 - 19, 2016
Bring your pet (see rules) to New York Pet Expo, which offers vendors, vaccinations, entertainment, and adoptions at Brooklyn Expo Center. Free except parking. Discount tickets $6.
9. Long Island Wine Tasting
June 25, 2016 (12 and 4 p.m.)
North Fork Crush Wine & Artisanal Food Festival has 100 wines, hors d’oeuvres, and live jazz at Jamesport Vineyards. Coupon code “events12” saves 10%.
10. Summer Beer Festival
June 17 - 18, 2016
Sample 150 craft beers, ciders, and meads with local restaurant food at the NYC Craft Beer Festival at Lexington Avenue Armory. Discount tickets $35.
Did I mention, I'm back on my walking kick - that's right folks - I walk for about 30-60 minutes a day and rack up between 5 to 8 miles. I'm loving it!!!
Hope you have a great one!!
Tanya's Daily Scoop
Travel around the world