Lititz is located approximately 8 miles north of the city of Lancaster, within Lancaster County. Filled with charm, here are 16 great facts about this charming destination.
1. Lititz was founded by members of the Moravian Church in 1756 was named after a castle in Bohemia, which in Czech is Litice near the village of Kunvald where the ancient Bohemian Brethren's Church had been founded in 1457. It was later incorporated in 1888.
2. Lititz Borough has a population of 9,385 people, and occupies a total area of 2.3 square miles. As of 2014, Lititz's population is 9,366 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 5.53 percent.
3. The Lititz area was traversed and inhabited many Centuries ago by Native Americans; namely, the Nanticokes. In 1722, Christian Bomberger became the first known European settler in the Lititz area.
4. A Sister City relationship between Lititz and Kunvald (Czech Republic) was established on June 11, 2006, during the celebration of the 250th anniversary naming of Lititz. The ceremony took place in Lititz Springs Park.
5. Lititz is home to many internationally known companies such as Susquehanna Bancshares, Wilbur Chocolate, Johnson & Johnson, Woodstream, Tait Towers, Clair Global, and Atomic Design.
7. Linden Hall (across from the Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery) is an independent day and boarding school for girls in grades 6-12 and was founded in 1746. It also has an Equestrian Education Program that offers a year round competitive training schedule.
8. Wilbur Chocolate Company’s famous Wilbur Buds® were first introduced in 1894. In 1978, Muhammad Ali interrupted his training for his rematch with Leon Spinks to hold a press conference in Lititz, announcing his Muhammad Ali Crisp Crunch candy bar made by Wilbur Chocolate. Today, the Candy Americana® Museum was created by Penny Buzzard, wife of former Wilbur® Chocolate president John Buzzard, is a major tourist attraction, free to the public.
Weekly events at the Inn include Second Friday's Live Music in the Ballroom, Saturday morning English Breakfast Tea, Sunday Traditional Roast, Trivia Night on Wednesdays and a plethora of events throughout the year including Waltz Wine Dinners and Murder Mystery.
10. Lititz has been holding a town-wide celebration of Independence Day since 1813. This annual event attracts many tourists and former residents that return for the annual Queen of Candles Pageant and fireworks display in Lititz Springs Park.
11. There are nearly 50 shops and more than 20 restaurants and eateries in Lititz. Main Street is where you will find many of these including The Curiosity Shoppe Antique Store, Heavenly Soaps and Scents, Zest! for all things kitchen and cooking classes and EcoLoco Gifts for human friendly and earth friendly products.
13. Each October, on the Saturday before Columbus Day, Lititz, becomes a chocoholic's paradise with its annual Lititz Chocolate Walk. With more than 25 locations to get free chocolate, ticket holders are welcome into the shops in downtown Lititz to claim chocolate treats. The chocolate samples are donated from some of the region’s top chefs, bakers, ice cream shops and candy makers, so that Lititz Chocolate Walkers can literally eat their way across town! All the money raised from ticket sales goes to support children-focused charities in the Lancaster County region. Get your tickets early, as they sell out fast!
15. There are 8 Bed and Breakfast Inns within Lititz, including the Swiss Woods B&B which is a quiet retreat on 30 acres in Lancaster's Amish country overlooking Speedwell Forge Lake, with rooms are decorated with the natural wood furnishings typical of Switzerland.
16. The Lititz Farmers Market is located on North Water Street a ½ block north of Main Street. The market is open on Saturdays, from mid-May to mid-October 8am until noon.