1. Niagara Falls is the name for all three waterfalls that are on the international border between the United States and Canada.
2. It is believed that Niagara Falls was formed 12,000 years ago at the end of the glacial period.
3. The names of the three waterfalls are called American Falls, Bridal Veil Falls and Horseshoe Falls.
4. The Falls were first discovered by French explorer Father Louis Hennepin in December 1678.
5. Commercial Hydro -Electric power was born in Niagara Falls by Nicola Tesla and in 1895, the world's first commercial hydropower plant was constructed.
6. In the Summer and Fall, more than 700,000 gallons of water per second pour over Niagara Falls.
7. Niagara Falls State Park is the oldest State Park in the United States.
8. The Power facilities along the Niagara River supply more than a quarter of all power used in New York State and Ontario.
9. The historic village of Lewiston, located 7 miles north of Niagara Falls was the site of the first battle of the War of 1812 and the last stop for slaves.
10. One of the oldest surviving United States flags, captured by the British in the War of 1812, is permanently on display at Fort Niagara.
11. The Maid of the Mist is a boat tour of Niagara Falls, starting and ending on the American side, crossing briefly into Ontario during a portion of the trip.
12. The Cave of the Winds attraction at the Falls is torn down and re-built every year.
13. 4 of the 5 Great Lakes drain into the Niagara River. These are Erie, Huron, Michigan and Superior.
14. The first person to go over the Falls in a barrel was Annie Edson Taylor, a 63-year-old school teacher.
15. Niagara Falls does not freeze in the Winter.
Tanya is a free sprit who resides in Southern California with the only family that she has outside of NY (you can take a girl out of the city, but you’ll never take the city out of this girl). Her housemates include her mom, her 2 sisters, her brother, her sister’s boyfriend, her niece, her 2 kids and her ex! Yup...all under one roof! Her professional career and background was in film (writing, production and acting). Currently she is a stay at home mom - who is hardly ever at home, and who’s passions are: everything travel related, food (both cooking and eating), photography, skiing and of course, shopping!
Elisa is co-founder of Travelin' Cousins travel blog along with her cousin "Travelin' Tanya." She lives on Long Island, New York with her two daughters and her dog Punkin. An entrepreneur whose professional career has included a variety of businesses in the toy, licensing and direct marketing businesses, she is now a blogger and freelance writer. Since her teen years, she has traveled extensively throughout the United States, Europe and Asia and continues to travel these days throughout the world with her daughters and cousin Tanya. Her other passions include cooking, dining, the theatre and shopping.