1. Florida is the southeasternmost U.S. state, with the Atlantic on one side and the Gulf of Mexico on the other.
2. It was admitted to the union on March 3, 1845.
3. The state flower is the Orange blossom.
4. The state bird is the Northern mockingbird.
5. The State Capital is Tallahassee.
6. In 1513, the Spanish conquistador Juan Ponce de León landed near what is now the city of Saint Augustine and named the land Florida for the Spanish phrase for the Easter season, pascua florida (“feast of flowers”). The name is the oldest surviving European place-name in the U.S.
7. Florida has the longest coastline - 1,350 miles - in the contiguous United States.
8. Florida is the largest producer of citrus fruits in the United States and second in the world.
9. Young aviator Tony Jannus made history on January 1, 1914 when he flew the world's first scheduled passenger service airline flight from St. Petersburg's downtown yacht basin to Tampa.
10. The Sunshine Skyway Bridge is a cable-stayed concrete bridge which was opened in 1987. The bridge coasts through the clouds at 190 feet above water. and provides drivers an unobstructed view of the water during the 4.1 mile trip over Tampa Bay.
Tanya is a free sprit who resides in Southern California with the only family that she has outside of NY (you can take a girl out of the city, but you’ll never take the city out of this girl). Her housemates include her mom, her 2 sisters, her brother, her sister’s boyfriend, her niece, her 2 kids and her ex! Yup...all under one roof! Her professional career and background was in film (writing, production and acting). Currently she is a stay at home mom - who is hardly ever at home, and who’s passions are: everything travel related, food (both cooking and eating), photography, skiing and of course, shopping!
Elisa is co-founder of Travelin' Cousins travel blog along with her cousin "Travelin' Tanya." She lives on Long Island, New York with her two daughters and her dog Punkin. An entrepreneur whose professional career has included a variety of businesses in the toy, licensing and direct marketing businesses, she is now a blogger and freelance writer. Since her teen years, she has traveled extensively throughout the United States, Europe and Asia and continues to travel these days throughout the world with her daughters and cousin Tanya. Her other passions include cooking, dining, the theatre and shopping.