5. This National Park is also a designated World Heritage Site and designated Biosphere Reserve.
6. Yellowstone was originally nicknamed “Wonderland.”
7. Yellowstone is home to more than 500 active geysers (more than half the world’s geysers).
8. The park sits atop the largest supervolcano in North America.
9. Yellowstone Lake has 131.7 sq. miles of surface area and 141 miles of shoreline. It is the largest high elevation lake in North America.
10. 80% of the land is covered by forest, 15% is grassland, and 5% is water.
14. The 47-mile road east from Mammoth to Tower-Roosevelt junction and beyond to the northeast entrance to Yellowstone is the only highway in Yellowstone open through the winter.
15. Yellowstone has the largest, free-roaming herd of bison in the world.
- Tanya & Elisa
1. Yellowstone is the world's first national park.
2. The park was established on March 1, 1872.
3. The park is 96% in Wyoming, 3% in Montana, and 1% in Idaho, however when Yellowstone National Park was established, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana were not yet states.
4. At 3,472 square miles—over 2.2 million acres—Yellowstone is larger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined.
11. Painter Thomas Moran of the 1871 Hayden Expedition sold his 7’x12’ canvas painting Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone for $10,000—to Congress. It was the first landscape painting ever featured in the U.S. Senate lobby.
12. The U.S. Engineer’s Office, located kitty corner to the Visitors’ Center, was built in 1903 and was designed by the same architectural committee behind New York’s Grand Central Station.
13. Isa Lake in Yellowstone National Park is the only natural lake whose water ends up in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Straddling the continental divide at 8,262′,
Tanya is a free sprit who resides in Southern California with the only family that she has outside of NY (you can take a girl out of the city, but you’ll never take the city out of this girl). Her housemates include her mom, her 2 sisters, her brother, her sister’s boyfriend, her niece, her 2 kids and her ex! Yup...all under one roof! Her professional career and background was in film (writing, production and acting). Currently she is a stay at home mom - who is hardly ever at home, and who’s passions are: everything travel related, food (both cooking and eating), photography, skiing and of course, shopping!
Elisa is co-founder of Travelin' Cousins travel blog along with her cousin "Travelin' Tanya." She lives on Long Island, New York with her two daughters and her dog Punkin. An entrepreneur whose professional career has included a variety of businesses in the toy, licensing and direct marketing businesses, she is now a blogger and freelance writer. Since her teen years, she has traveled extensively throughout the United States, Europe and Asia and continues to travel these days throughout the world with her daughters and cousin Tanya. Her other passions include cooking, dining, the theatre and shopping.