Throwin' it Back to Old School Flying
So, here we are at Thursday - Throwback Thursday to be exact; and I have not as yet gone into NYC to the Tenement Museum this week. As fate would have it, I couldn't go too far this week, since Gianna was still home most of the week with this virus.
So, my plan is to either go tomorrow if she is back in school or I will go next week. I hate when things don't work out the way I had planned. But, I'll get there!
Thought I'd get all old-school on you today and talk about air travel back in the 80's and 90's and how vastly different it was then - my kids would never believe it!
1) Extra Baggage was free - no excess charges
Today we work so hard to squeeze our belongings into one bag each AND keep the weight down for fear of not only being charged per bag, but for excess weight.
2) Meals were the norm on just about all flights
Now, I'm not making a comment on the quality of the meal, but the point is, you were given a meal...and, you could pre-select the TYPE of meal - low sodium, vegetarian, Kosher. No more.
3) Smoking was Permitted
Wow - who remembers the cloud of smoke at the back of the plane and having ashtrays built into the arm rests!
4) Foot Rests
This is a thing of the past - a nice foot rest to add some comfort.
5) Walking through Security was a breeze
That's right - no taking off your shoes or stripping down to the bare minimum of clothing.
6) Walking Your Loved One to the Gate
When my daughter Rebecca left for England to study abroad one summer, I was a nervous wreck as I had to say my goodbyes at the security check point. No more escorting to the gate. And who remembers waiting by the gate to greet friends and family - gone are those days.
7) No Restrictions on Items You Could Pack
Lotions, Hand creams, liquids of any kind were allowed; not to mention items such as knives, scissors, and other sharp objects.
8) One Movie and No Individual Entertainment Centers
We watched movies on the overhead monitors that dropped down after take off. There was one movie and we had to pay for the headset - in cash. Today, we are all equipped with our own mini entertainment center, loaded with movies, cable shows, sports and news.
Why I remember taking the 14 hour flight (New York to Tokyo) and thinking it was a big deal that they showed 3 movies!!
9) No WiFi
Whatever did we do with our laptops, iPods, iPads, cell phones while flying?? Yes folks, we read, napped and actually interacted with the people around us.
10) Upper Level for Business Class
This really was the bomb! An upper, private level for business travelers. I still remember trekking up the flight of steps and reveling in this "exclusive" part of the plan when traveling overseas.
Oh my, how air travel has changed in the past few decades!
Speaking of throwbacks - Take a little trip back with Tanya to 2013 to Wengen, Switzerland in our Throwback Thursday feature today!!
Lastly, a friendly request from us -- if you enjoy The Daily Scoop, please email it to your friends - they may like it too and want to become subscribers. Word of mouth is always our best form of promotion!!
Thanks for the continued votes!!
TaTa For Now!!
Turnin' Lemons into Lemonade!
Well Hello Hello!
I still haven't found my camera, but I am feeling so much better than I started off yesterday. I hate being such a drag! I'm really not at all that type of person.
I was a bit proactive in my camera hunt, and that definitely started to wear down my state of being a 'Negative Nelly'.
I also spoke to my mom (who always has a good perspective on things), and had some wonderful conversations with some friends and that too helped me completely changed my attitude - which is something that we all have control over.
Being that it did take me a couple of hours to come back to being 100% me; I had decided not to go skiing yesterday, as I didn't want to bring any negativity to the slopes!
It hasn't ever fared me well in the past, so hopefully I've learned and graduated that lesson!
I was reading Elisa's side and thinking about all of those old-school air travel "benefits" that we use to have!
And I'm gonna comment on them just for fun!
1) The Extra Baggage - I took FULL advantage of this! I was all about taking a thousand pairs of shoes with me on all my trips! LOL
2) I remember the meals! Now you're lucky if they toss you a bag of peanuts!
3) I remember the ashtrays, but thankfully I've forgotten the smokers. COUGH COUGH
4) I can still find a nice footrest on some on my flights.
5) Ahhh the joys of not having to take your shoes off! Being sure that you have the perfect pedicure and noticing people who definitely DON'T! LOL
6) It sure was nice to say our "Good Byes" when the loved one was actually taking off and then being able to see the plane depart.
7) Well if the restrictions keep us safe from the few crazy people who screwed it up for the rest of us, then I'm actually okay with the darn restrictions. But it is definitely a pain in the butt!
8) There are definitely still a few planes out there with the overhead monitors. I so prefer the personal entertainment centers. Go technology!
9) I will still usually pull out a book or some magazines to enjoy and give the wifi a break. However my kiddos luv being able to use wifi at 20,000'+ in the air!
10) I remember that Upper Level, this is going a ways back, and I had never been up there.
That about covers that!
My friend Manny had come up to Park City to visit us last night, we had lots of laughs, and just a blast in general!
Sadly, Manny had to work this morning and couldn't stay for more time and get some skiing in!
We dropped him off downtown at 5:40a this morning, (which isn't too bad, except that we fell asleep around 2:45am!)
The kids were so pooped that they begged to not start skiing too early today.
And that's why I'm not on the mountain yet, but I hope that we will be heading out there very soon!
What we have to look forward to...
Later tonight my friend Jodie is flying in to town from SoCal to spend the remainder of the trip with us...Stay tuned for more on that!
Lastly I can't forget that today is TBT...
Throwback Thursday here at Travelin' Cousins and I will be posting both my TBT story from Wengen, Switzerland in 2013, as well as my very late publishing of last weeks Foodie Friday about Vertical Diner from right here in Salt Lake City, Utah! Hope you enjoy!
And also that you have a spectacular day doing whatever it is that you do!