Elisa's Daily Blog
Fun Facts about London
Hump Day already!!
These weeks are just flying by!! Can you believe August is more than half over!
My kiddies are so sad about the prospect of going back to school. I cannot blame them. It's so much fun hanging out and getting up early for something fun like horseback riding rather than learning!
I won't focus on that subject anymore today lol.
Moving right along, it's Tanya's first day in London!!
You know what I love best about the time difference when one or both of us are traveling in Europe? That we get to write and post about all we did on the present day!
Tanya has quite a bit to tell us today about her flight and first day spent in London today -the first city on her Magical Anniversary Trip this month.
As promised, here is some wonderful information about "The Old Smoke" city.
16 FUN FACTS ABOUT LONDON
1. London, England’s capital, set on the River Thames, was founded by the Romans, who named it Londinium.
2. The Museum of London, which retraces the history of London from Prehistoric times to the present day, is the largest urban history museum in the world.
3. Nearly a third of London's population was lost during the Black Death in the mid-14th century.
4. Brought back from China by Dutch merchants, tea made its first appearance in London in September 1658, when the new beverage was advertised in a pamphlet by Thomas Garraway, a coffeehouse owner.
5. Founded in London in 1670, the Hudson's Bay Company is the world's oldest chartered company.
6. The Bank of England, founded in 1694, was the first privately owned national bank in any country.
7. London's "Big Ben" is not the tower. It's the bell inside it.
8. Greater London's population was estimated to be 8.63 million in January 2015, the highest level since 1939.
9. During London's "Great Smog" of 1952, between 4,000 and 12,000 people died in a few days due to air pollution.
10. London is the most visited city, with more than 16 million international visitors in 2014.
11. London ranked as the 6th most expensive city in which to live in 2016.
12. London Black Cab drivers are required to know over 25,000 roads and 50,000 points of interest and pass a test called "The Knowledge."
13. London has 72 billionaires, the most of any city.
14. Today's British accent first appeared among London's upper class around the time of the American Revolution. Before that, the British accent was similar to that of Americans.
15. London is the world's largest financial center and Europe's largest city.
16. Established in 1902, Ealing Studios in West London are the oldest continuously working film studios in the world.
Stay tuned for more about London all week!! And do not miss even one of Tanya's blogs during the next 19 days!!
Today, I'm back out on Eastern Long Island as the girls are riding two days this week - today being one of them.
I managed to get a bunch of things done today while hanging out at Tanger.
First of all, I had to fill out some school forms for Gianna. In Seventh grade, she will be required to do 10 hours of community service in preparation for her Confirmation in Ninth grade.
Another 10 hours will be mandatory in Eighth grade as well. So, there were a few recommendations sent home by the Religious Ed department of her school for some of the ways she could volunteer to start accruing the time. I filled those out.
Additionally, she has a weekly program on Fridays (which actually began in the Sixth Grade), whereby, the students participate in some fun extra-curricular subjects.
These change every trimester, with the first one offering such subjects as The Stock Market Game, Chess, Shakespeare, Carpentry and E-Commerce.
I have to say, I was rather proud of my little girl for selecting E-Commerce with The Stock Market Game second and Carpentry third.
Lord knows, these are invaluable skills to begin acquiring now. I'm sort of hoping she gets into The Stock Market Game! Selections are made on a first-come, first-serve basis, so we'll see. Filled that form out and got both things in the mail.
Ok - well, Bon Voyage to Tanya and Dave! Can't wait to hear more tomorrow!!
Tanya's Daily Blog
Elisa and Tanya
Please check back here daily to