Tanya's Daily Scoop
Elisa's Daily Scoop
April on Broadway
HEY THERE!! It's the start of a new week - the first full week of April!
As Tanya was romping and riding around Moab, me and my gang spent a relatively quiet (but busy) weekend here on Long Island.
It was good to be back home from our nearly two-week stay in Boca Raton, Florida. Today we got right back in the swing of a typical school week. Kids are back in uniform; Mommy making lunch and Gianna has band.
I know we will all be very tired by the end of the day. I popped dinner in the slow cooker so I would not have to fuss later on - Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken.
This recipe is so very easy to make, with so few ingredients, that it's a great go-to meal for those busy days.
I know my sweet cuz would never consider such a dish, being a vegan. As you know, I'm not one for a lot of meat, but I do eat chicken occasionally and the kids do eat it.
I'll serve it up with some mashed potatoes and string bean salad.
Getting back to the weekend, did I mention that Gianna got something very special done to her hair this weekend - she had the bottom highlighted. Cannot believe my girl is almost 12 years old! Next month, in fact.
Well, she has been begging me and it is a current trend with may of the girls her age. I feel if it's not permanent (like a tattoo or a piercing), or something that could hurt her health, as a pre-teen, it's okay with me.
Monday is our usual Entertainment Day here on Travelin' Cousins and I am delighted to tell you about the 8 new shows opening on Broadway this month...straight from Playbill.com.
• Theatre: Walter Kerr
• Opening: March 31, 2016
• Written by Arthur Miller
• Director: Ivo van Hove
• Cast: Ben Whishaw, Saoirse Ronan, Ciaran Hinds. Sophie Okonedo.
• Arthur Miller's political allegory framed as a story about a man falsely charged with witchcraft in colonial, Salem, MA.
• Theatre: Samuel J. Friedman
• First Preview: March 22, 2016
• Opening: April 14, 2016
• Written by Florian Zeller
• Director: Doug Hughes
• Cast: Frank Langella, Kathryn Erbe
• A look inside the mind of Andre (Langella), a retired dancer living with his adult daughter Anne and her husband. Or is he a retired engineer receiving a visit from Anne who has moved away with her boyfriend? Why do strangers keep turning up in his room? And where has he left his watch?
• Produced previously in Paris and London.
• Theatre: Gerald Schoenfeld
• First Preview: March 24, 2016
• Opening: April 21, 2016
• Written by Duncan Sheik (music & lyrics), Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (book)
• Director: Rupert Goold
• Cast: Benjamin Walker, Alice Ripley, Jennifer Damiano
• "Direct from a highly acclaimed, sold-out run in London, American Psycho brings its designer brand of style, sex and synthesizers to Broadway. Set in the excess of 1980s Manhattan, American Psycho tells the story of Patrick Bateman, a young and handsome Wall Street banker who pursues his darkest American dreams. Patrick and his elite group of friends spend their days in exclusive restaurants, hot clubs and luxury labels. But at night, Patrick takes part in a more sinful indulgence, and his mask of sanity is starting to slip...."
• Made its world premiere in London at the Almeida Theatre January 2014, starring Matt Smith. Act 4 is partnering with Jeffrey Richards to bring the show to Broadway.
• Theatre: Brooks Atkinson
• First Preview: March 25, 2016
• Opening: April 24, 2016
• Written by Sara Bareilles (music & lyrics), Jessie Nelson (book), Adrienne Shelly (original screenplay)
• Director: Diane Paulus
• Cast: Jessie Mueller
• Based on the 2007 film of the same name, which follows a pregnant waitress named Jenna who is unhappily married in the Deep South. She meets a newcomer to her town and falls into an unlikely relationship as a last attempt at happiness.
• In development since June 2013 with producers Barry and Fran Weissler, director Diane Paulus and songwriter Sara Bareilles. The show had its first full production at American Repertory Theater in Cambridge, MA in summer 2015.
• Theatre: Lyceum
• First Preview: April 1, 2016
• Opening: April 25, 2016
• Written by Becky Mode
• Director: Jason Moore
• Cast: Jesse Tyler Ferguson
• Broadway premiere of the hit 1999 comedy about a harried reservations clerk at a hot restaurant with a mob of crazy guests...all played by one actor.
• Theatre: Broadhurst
• First Preview: March 31, 2016
• Opening: April 26, 2016
• Written by Nathan Tysen (lyrics), Chris Miller (music), Claudia Shear and Tim Federle (book)
• Director: Casey Nicholaw
• Cast: Sarah Charles Lewis, Andrew Keenan-Bolger, Carolee Carmello, Michael Park, Terrence Mann
• Good girl Winnie Foster’s world has been safely contained behind the picket fence that surrounds the house she shares with her mother and grandmother. Yearning to break free, Winnie runs deep into the woods behind their house where she discovers the Tuck family and the secret they’ve been keeping.
LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
• Theatre: American Airlines
• First Preview: April 3, 2016
• Opening: April 27, 2016
• Written by Eugene O'Neill
• Director: Jonathan Kent
• Cast: Jessica Lange, Gabriel Byrne, John Gallagher Jr., Michael Shannon
• O'Neill's tale of an ordinary summer’s day with extraordinary consequences. Roundabout revives the story of the Tyrone family and their battle to unearth — and conceal — a lifetime of secrets.
SHUFFLE ALONG, OR, THE MAKING OF THE MUSICAL SENSATION OF 1921 AND ALL THAT FOLLOWED
• Theatre: Music Box
• First Preview: March 15, 2016
• Opening: April 28, 2016
• Written by Eubie Blake and Noble Sissle (music), George C. Wolfe (book)
• Director: George C. Wolfe
• Choreographer: Savion Glover
• Cast: Audra McDonald, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Billy Porter, Brandon Victor Dixon, Joshua Henry
• A backstage musical about the events that led to the creation of the groundbreaking Eubie Blake-Noble Sissle musical Shuffle Along.
I absolutely loved Jessie Mueller, currently starring in Waitress, as Carole King in Beautiful: The Carole King Musical CLICK HERE to read about her performance and this Broadway production!
And Audra MacDonald, multiple Tony Award winner currently starring in SHUFFLE ALONG, OR, THE MAKING OF THE MUSICAL SENSATION OF 1921 AND ALL THAT FOLLOWED was stupendous as Billie Holiday in Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill. CLICK HERE to read about this production, which is currently airing on HBO this month.
I love Broadway! Have to get some tickets for these new Spring productions!! Will keep you posted!
Please check back here daily to