Elisa's Daily Scoop
W2GW in Boca Raton
Happy, Happy Hump Day!!
I sure hope that you have been keeping up with Tanya - yesterday she talked all about her upcoming trips -boy does my cousin keep herself moving!!
Here in Boca Raton, it's been delightfully warm and sunny. Yesterday, I spent most of the day out in the yard by my parents' pool. The kids had a great time splashing about, swimming, racing and playing in the pool. I hung out with them, taking pictures and soaking up the rays!
I'm usually exceptionally pale, but I believe between my morning walks and sitting poolside, I've managed to get some color!
Dad is considering getting a new puppy - preferably, a small one, so he can transport it back and forth between New York and Florida. He and the girls went yesterday to check out some little fur babies. I think he found a little Yorkie that he liked, but he wants to take my mom back to meet it before he makes a final decision.
The kids are in their glory! We'll see what happens today.
Do you know much about Boca Raton?
I've been coming down here now for about 10 years, ever since my mom and dad bought their house and became snow birds.
It's quite a lovely place here in South Florida and being that it is W2GW (Where to Go Wednesday), I thought I would feature some additional information about Boca Raton.
15 Facts about Boca Raton, Florida:
1) Boca Raton is located in Palm Beach County, Florida.
2) Located 20 miles north of Fort Lauderdale and 30 miles south of Palm Beach.
3) The name Boca Raton is often misinterpreted as "mouth of a rat," however, using common nautical terms for translation—"boca" meaning inlet, and "raton" meaning jagged rocks—the name makes a whole lot more sense
4) The city has a population of approximately 80,400.
5) The IBM computer was invented in Boca Raton.
6) Boca Raton is home to the International Museum of Cartoon Art, which houses original pieces by some of the best in the business, like Charles Schulz and Bill Watterson
7) Boca is home to numerous publications including The “Star,” “The National Enquirer,” and “Shape”
8) Boca Raton is home to the Gumbo Limbo Nature Center, which isn't just an education center with tanks and a butterfly garden, but a working research facility run by Floria Atlantic University students studying marine life.
9) The first settler of Boca Raton was named T.M. Rickards.
10) The United States Tennis Association Training Center Headquarters is located in Boca Raton, where it nurtures some of the best early tennis talent in the country.
11) Has 3 of the ten most expensive gated communities in the U.S.
12) Lake Boca Raton holds the Boca Bash each year which brings 1000s over spring break.
13) Addison Mizner was once the richest man in the U.S. who created Boca Raton to become a city.
14) 2nd highest population of Holocaust survivors behind New York City
15) Boca Raton is home to the Caldwell Theatre Company, the longest-running professional theater in South Florida
Tanya and I will be bringing you more "15 for '15" which we hope you enjoy!!
Please remember to vote - as always, we greatly appreciate it!!
Have a fantastic day today!!
Tanya's Daily Scoop
W2GW - see below!
Howdy Ho and Happy Hump Day!
As you know it's W2GW (Where to go Wednesday) and I'm gonna tell you exactly where I'm going, in addition to couple other places that might be of interest to you!
But first let me tell you about my day:
And I'll start with yesterday...
For starters, I worked on my Photo Gallery, adding pictures from places such as Hawaii, California, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Utah to my USA Collection.
I also managed to start and pretty much finish packing for myself and for the kids for next weeks upcoming trip which we leave for on early Tuesday morning.
In addition, I also managed to begin packing for this coming
Surprise Post Valentines Date Weekend!
Dave and I went to the local bike shop to pick up a few items that'll be used for Saturday's ride (which btw rain happens to be in the forecast for).
We also just barely squeezed in a quick teatime to-go on our way to pick up Dominic and take him to his classes.
While we were sitting there watching him, I managed to take care of our final hotel booking for the weekend in Boston prior to heading across the Atlantic and going to the Azores!
If you can't tell...
I'm getting pretty excited about this trip!!
Today will be filled with lots of shopping, mostly for the Tahoe trip, which I'm so excited about the forecasted FRESH SNOW expected during our trip!
While I realize that if you are almost anywhere but in Florida or California that you are probably quite sick and tired of the snow!
I was kinda getting worried that we might have to find some other activities to fill our time with.
I've gotta say "Whew" because we'll definitely be able to ski!
This afternoon, I'll also be taking Cosette to the stables to visit Dream and Star, going for a relaxing fresh pedicure, and then taking Dominic to his Wednesday night class.
And now for Where to Go:
What: L.A. Chinatown Firecracker 5/10K Run/Walk/Bike Ride & Festival
When: February 28th & March 1st
Where: 943 N Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90012
For more info: www.firecracker10k.org
The 20 mile route will be geared more towards families and casual riders. A major portion of the 20 mile ride will be along the LA River on the LA River Bike Path which is away from traffic and will have great views of the LA River.
The 30+ mile route will feature challenging hills in Elysian Park, Griffith Park, and a loop around the Silverlake Reservoir. There will be some great view spots along the way. This is the one we'll be doing!
Shannon Lee, THE DAUGHTER OF BRUCE LEE will be part of the Opening Ceremonies on Sunday and will be lighting one of the 100,000 Firecrackers!
There will be Chinese music ensembles, Korean performance troupes, Vietnamese folk dance, Japanese taiko drummers, Lion Dancers, Latin Jazz, funk and soul bands throughout both days at the festival.
What: Vegan Street Fair
When: Sunday, March 1st. 12pm-6pm
Where: Weddington St & Bakman Ave- North Hollywood, CA
For more info: www.veganstreetfair.com
Vegan Street Fair is an annual vegan food celebration where local vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants and vendors come together to serve you bite-size portions of vegan eats all in one place.
You can bet I'm going to this one!
And last but not least, in the spirit of Elisa being in Florida. Both the Disneyland Resort and the Magic Kingdom are celebrating Dapper Day (on different weekends).
Here's the info for SoCal:
What: Dapper Days at Disneyland
When: Saturday February 28 - Sunday March 1
Where: Disneyland Resort, Anaheim, CA
For more info: www.dapperday.com
It's your chance enjoy your favorite rides and attractions while looking your best. These are not strict period recreations, instead, we welcome all sophisticated fashions, from vintage-inspired to contemporary chic - show us your "Sunday best!"
And please don't forget to check out the latest 15 for '15 list on Elisa's side.
This week you'll learn the top 15 facts about Boca Raton!!
That's about it for today folks..
Hope to see you out there having fun!